Learn the essential skill of underpainting with local artist Brett Mallon. This technique was widely employed by the old masters and is a fundamental for many painters today, if you enjoy realism this class is a must!
Because this workshop is a little more focused and in depth it is better suited to intermediate to advanced artists who already have a base understanding of colour theory and colour mixing.
What is an underpainting and why do I need it?
Underpainting is precisely what it sounds like: applying a layer of paint to your canvas or surface prior to painting. It acts as a foundation for your painting and is a great way to start your image off with some built-in contrast and tonal values. Underpainting can give your work more contrast, depth, and realism. Or, depending on the colour used, give an entirely different look and level of vibrancy.
- Saturday, January 28th: 10am – 3pm, with a 30min lunch break (lunch not included)
- At the Revelstoke Visual Arts Centre, 320 Wilson st.
- Acrylic paint and all materials will be provided, however if you would prefer to use oil paints than you are welcome to bring your own.
- This class is intended for Adults
- Experience with colour theory and colour mixing required
- $70 per person